Sunday, September 4, 2011

Not a Soul Cry, but a Soul Crying.

Yesterday I learned that one of my friends lost her son in a bicycling accident.  I am absolutely heart-broken for her family, and my soul is crying for her.

This started me thinking about the difference between being sympathetic vs. being empathetic.  We often say "Oh, I know how you feel..." when we're trying to talking to others, but do we really know how they feel?  Can we ever? 

I know that I did not have a vision or what I call a "Soul Cry" when her son died.  I know that I did not have any sort of Divine intervention telling me to pray for them, or that some unimaginable tragedy has happened... I just wept for the pain that I knew she was feeling.  Losing someone is so horrible, and knowing someone who's lost someone has got to be one of the closest "next worst" things on the proverbial list.

It's probably been mentioned in a few of my posts, but I'm going to talk about it again... when I first started having my visions, premonitions, and empathic feelings of sharing other people's pain, I was a freshman in college, and it was so, so hard.  By the time I'd finished college, so many loved ones had died unexpected deaths, I couldn't cope with it!  One of my friends at the time had said "The shortest verse in the Bible is this:  Jesus wept."  That has always stuck with me.  Now, I totally fail at quoting exact verses, so I couldn't begin to tell you where it is, but I know it's there... I've found it myself before, randomly while flipping through pages, seeking words of comfort.

Jesus wept.  He didn't have to, He knew that there was a bigger plan, that everything and everyone had their time and place on this earth, but in His human form, Jesus wept when his friend died.  God wept for the compassion He felt in this frail and fragile human body that was a man named Jesus.

I used to call this gift a "cursed gift" but I don't feel that way anymore.  These Gifts of the Spirit have helped me to help other people, and I am doing my best every day to surrender to that!  If only there were a way to control when and where it happens, but that defeats the purpose of surrendering to God. *half grin*chuckle*  Oh, the irony when the human mind tries to logically reason with the Holy Spirit!

Sorry for the slightly disjointed thoughts right now, my writing has been feeling more like a glorified brainstorm lately.  I'm hoping that goes back to normal after I get back into a better routine.

Dear Lord, 


Please keep angels with my friends as they mourn the loss of their beloved son.  As a parent who lost His only Son to this world, You have felt their pain.  Help to heal their hearts, and let them see little signs of your Glory and their son down their road to recovery.  Please help comfort their pain and sorrow as they get used to living with the hole in their heart, and help them to receive Your Glory, help them to fill that hole with nothing but Your love. 


Amen.

No comments: