Friday, September 30, 2011

Hide-n-Seek

"When you go to the ends of the earth, you will find traces of God; if you go to the depths of your soul, you will find God Himself. (When the little monk dreamt about finding God)"

I have a wonderful book called The Little Monk: Wisdome from a Little Friend of Big Faith, by Madeleine Delbrel.  The author was born in 1904 in the south of France, and she was born and raised as an athiest.  She would often say "God is dead- Long Live Death!" because she felt that was the only certainty!  She was a progressive, learned woman, and wore her hair scandelously short.  Her life changed forever when her fiance left her to join the Dominicans, and she realized that life didn't seem meaningless and absurd to her Christian friends, and this started the beginning of her finding God. 

The quote I randomly turned to just now hits home with me so much right now, both as my soul longs for the peace and quiet it finds at a body of water, as well as how it longs for a deeper relationship with God.  It reminds me of a poem I wrote in high school:

I looked for my soul, but my soul I could not see,
I looked for my God, but my God eluded me,
I looked for a friend, and then I found all three.


Who'd have thunk I was so insightful as a teenager?! 

How many times have you looked, searched with all your being, to "find God"?  Did you think to look inside?  I know I forget to. 

Madeleine's inspiration was Teresa of Avila, and how she recommeneded to silently think of God for five minutes each day.  It sounds so simple, but try it.  No radio, no phone, no TV, no computer- just you and your silent thoughts about God.  You won't need to go to the ends of the earth, you will find your soul and your a friend.

No comments: