Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Eeeny-Meeny-Miney-MO! ...?

Listening to NPR (National Public Radio) on the way into work today, they were discussing how theological scholars were debating whether or not to continue accepting Adam & Eve's creation story in Genesis.  Some theologian from somewhere (you can tell I was really engaged in what he had to say) said that it's scientifically and statistically impossible for the entire human race to have come from just two people.  He said that it would take about 10,000 people to create the world we have today, and that science shows humans are descendants of primates. 

Hm. 

I guess I didn't realize we could pick-n-choose what to believe in the Bible.  I mean, obviously we can, "free will" and all... but really?  I think that study, with all of their statistical facts and findings, missed the whole point of what it means to have Faith.  If I sit there and pick any random teaching, of course science can prove it "wrong".... it doesn't mean I believe in it any less.  Yes, science shows that evolution exists, and I believe that- if you have brown rabbits and white rabbit living in a field of hay, the brown rabbits are going to blend better, the white rabbits will not be able to hid from prey as easily, and slowly the brown rabbits will exist in that field.... because of natural selection, because of survival of the fittest, the fastest rabbits who blend in will survive and pass their genes to generations after them.  It doesn't mean I think that humans came from monkeys, but it does mean that I believe in evolution.  Who's to say that God didn't create natural selection to help species evolve and survive for their environment? 

You can choose to believe in Faith and science, but you have to be opened to both.   

No comments: