Thursday, January 26, 2012

Power of Prayer

Do you ever wonder how prayer works?  I mean- really, and truly, why and how it works? 

The final confirmation class for the youth group was all about prayer, last night.  One of the things that was mentioned was how God's just like any other good parent- He knows what we want, what we need, and what's best for us, but He still would rather have us ask Him in lieu of silence.  I guess it's kind of like a parent asking for a wish list before your birthday?  They know what you want, they know what's best for you, but they encourage you to think about it. 

God wants us to think about what we're asking for.  He wants us to grow in Him as we ask Him for help. 

Today's bible verse is James 4:10 "Humble yourself before the Lord and He will lift you up." 

AMEN!  I mean, well, yeah- there are those incredibly human moments when I am convinced that this is a cosmic joke, that God likes to watch us squirm and suffer as He waits for us to finally catch on, but for the most part, that's not really what I believe.  At all.  That's more of a "I'm frustrated and lashing out" response.....

So, yes- the point of the verse?  To ask for help.  The lesson of the verse?  Humble yourself in the Lord and He will help you see what He wants for you, and that will lift you up above any of your own wants or needs.  It's true.  If you humbly say, "I want to win the lotto" that won't work... can you really humbly ask for millions of dollars?  If you humbly say, "Lord, help me to see where You want me to be, help me to do Your Will" then of course He's going to lift you up and show you the way! 

Food for thought:  Next time you think you need to pray for something, instead ask for the Holy Spirit to help you understand the why of your current situation.  The enlightenment will be beyond words...

No comments: