Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Is "Good" Good Enough?




















How do you make the decision between right and wrong? One would think it's easy, you do what feels good, what makes it easier to sleep at night, what doesn't weigh heavy on your conscience... But it's not always black and white. 

When you are faced with decisions that need to be made, do you choose "good" or "good enough"? Do you choose from which is bad over which could have been worse? People say "The Devil's in the details" and I don't think we ever realize how true that statement is! Temptation is around us all day, every day, and so many times we justify it with saying our decisions were "good enough" to be considered "good". 

Father Davis said in his homily last Sunday, that during Lent, we are meant to give much more time and focus on prayer, penance, and the effective use of the Word of God. The Holy Spirit helps to guide us to the path we need to be on, the path we should be taking. If we are truly listening with our hearts and not our minds, we will hear Jesus calling us by name, just as He promised us He would. 

I LOVE THIS! For me, this means listening in the silence.... God speaks the loudest when the rest of the world is hushed.... no TV, no phones, no music, no outside noises, sometimes I will put my headphones in and use them like earplugs - no sound on at all, just have it muting the world around me so I can listen to the silence. These are the moments of reflection, of direction, and divine communication, for me - what works for you? 

I challenge you, as we go forward on our Lenten journey this year, to make a habit of finding just 5 minutes of silence each day, and listen. Then, really think about the last time you chose the Right. The Good, not the good enough. Stare at that door, and really, truly make sure you are ready to open it.... listen for Jesus calling your name, I have faith that He will. 

No comments: