Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Fat Tuesday- Ash Wednesday... Dive IN!

Timothy 4:7-8 "Have nothing to do with godless myths and old wives tales; rather, train yourself to be godly.  For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come."

The verse that I start with today is actually the verse-of-the-day from last week.  It seemed rather appropriate for a send-off into Lent.

I am quite literally enjoying "Fat Tuesday" before my lenton journey begins in 12 short hours, with a hot dog & cheetos for lunch, and my last Coke for 40 days....  I have made the choice to better my diet selection, in other words, I'm giving up processed flour and processed sugar.  At first it will actually be all flour & sugars, so as to get all the gunk out of my system.  It will be a challenge, but I've done it before- over 10 years ago!

During Lent this year, I will be focusing on the verse of the day every single day.  I'll journal about it, blog about it, pray about it.  I'm sure that it will - somehow, someway - tie into my junk-food-fast.  Keeping the focus on God, making the changes to better myself for God, in the name of God.... it all helps me stay focused on being godly, as Timothy writes.  Sure, it'll be great to eat healthier, and yeah, it'll be wonderful if/when I start to lose weight, but that's not why I'm giving up flour & sugar for 40 days.  A challenge, a sacrifice, a reminder of what Jesus gave up for us.... There's no comparisson here, 40 days in the desert definatly trumps anything we could give up or change, but, basically, it's the thought that counts. 

How will you be bettering yourself over the next 6 weeks?  One of my previous committments to better my life for Christ was to give up negativity.  You think not eating junk food or not using facebook or twitter for 6 weeks is hard, try losing that negative attitude, your own worst critic that sits inside you and whispers in your ear during your most insecure moments!  Rather than resenting Lent because you have to give up chocolate or coffee, think on a grander scale.  Take the money you saved by not indulging & give it back to the church, a charity, or a food bank.  Instead of living without caffeine for 40 days - or whatever you choose to give up - you helped that many more people with your small sacrifice.

No comments: