Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Sharing a Little Miracle

A miracle, indeed! 

You may not be aware of how severe my allergy is to cat dander- if I'm within 5 feet of cat dander, I go into anaphylactic shock.  Even a piece of paper from a cat-owner's house is enough to make everything swell shut!  So, as I go to any youth group activities, I always say a prayer that my allergy does not prevent me from helping people, from doing God's Will.

That being said, there are a lot of kids who have cats in their homes. *scrunched up face* It makes me sad, because I'm always afraid that someone will forget and stand beside me or behind me, and that's that- inhaler, epi pins, 911...

So, while working with the kids, I've been cautious.  I was talking with a few this weekend and their mother came up and said, "Get back, they have cats!"  I was completely taken aback!!  While I'd had problems with my allergies around the mother, I had never had problems around the children, and hadn't even put 2+2 together!  It gets even more amazing- the cat apparently sleeps on one of the kid's beds!!  That means cat dander would be everywhere, as it is smaller and lighter than anthrax and hangs in the air after a cat has left the room... I never had a single reaction to being around her.

Amazing... Absolutely amazing...  What's even more amazing is that- going into convention weekend- I had said "If ever there was a time for a healing, now would be a perfect time to get rid of my cat allergy, Lord."  I said it in jest, the gal next to me laughed and said, "I know, right?!" 

AMEN!  It would absolutely break my heart if I was unable to help someone truly in need of God's help because of my stupid, over-active immune system!!!  God is good, He still performs miracles, this is my proof.  Now, it doesn't mean that I'm ready to go test my theory and start rubbing cats all over me, I think this was more of a one-time/temporary/situational 'assist'... we'll see.

"I will consider all your works and meditate on your mighty deeds.  Your ways, God, are holy.  What god is as great as our God?  You are the God who performs miracles; you display your power among the peoples." Psalm 77:12-14

What I love about this part of Psalm 77 is what comes before it- all the doubt, the suffering, the pain...

"I cried out to God for help; I cried out to God to hear me... I sought the Lord... stretched out untiring hands, and ...would not be comforted... I meditated and my spirit grew faint.  You kept my eyes from closing; I was too troubled to speak... My heart meditated and my spirit asked - will the Lord reject forever?... has His unfailing love vanished forever?"

How many times have we felt forgotten by God?  I know I have, more times than I can count.  When you're there, when you're feeling that the Lord has rejected you, that His unfailing love has vanished forever, remember His miracles of long-ago. (77:11)  Know that you are not as alone as you feel, and that somewhere- someone- is sharing your doubts, and longing to find God again. 

Dear Lord,

Please remember your people.  Help us to understand why we feel we are alone, naked, exposed; why we feel like you're not there.  Help us to see that you are- that, for whatever reason, you are helping us to stand on our own. Gather the saints around us in these dark hours, for many of them expierenced feeling a lack of your presence on their journey.  Help us to see the Holy Spirit around us at all times, and help Him to guide us down your path.  Our minds know you are there, and you are good, but our hearts feel abandoned and doubtful- please, erase this doubt and replace the pain of abandonment with the joy of your love.

Amen <><

No comments: