Wednesday, May 21, 2014

I'm Gonna Sing When the Spirit Says "SING!"

For those of you who have been following for a while now, you are familiar with how hard it was to be asked not to sing at mass anymore at St Stephens.  Fear not!  That has been resolved, for the most part!!!

I went back to the music ministries at St Stephens and asked if I was needed anywhere else.... the first couple I spoke with left me feeling very hopeful, I could hear harmonies and melodies spinning together, but they had another vision for their direction, and never called me back.  It was at that point that I resigned myself to just being a participating member of the congregation, just sit in the sanctuary as one of many in the Body of Christ, and wait for the Spirit to move me.  I knew, when the timing was right, He would use my gifts again. 

A few days after coming to this realization, my parents said they wanted to head out to St Barbara's, a smaller parish in Black Diamond.  Of course I said yes, it was the first time they wanted to go to church other than a holiday in years!  The music was very familiar, between songs that I'd sang in choirs or at churches over the years, and I sang along with every one.  At the end of mass one of the women in the choir practically ran over to me, grabbed me by both arms and said "I was watching you all of mass, you knew every word to every song we sang.  COME SING WITH US!" so excited, eyes lit up & dancing... how could I have said no?! 

So, I was a regular member of the congregation for one service.... now I'm singing every Sunday morning with the church choir, and will start in the cantoring rotation on June 8th.

I have always believed that God will open a window when a door is closed for us, and this has got to be the most literal, direct "window" I've ever had opened for me, AMEN!

No comments: