Friday, March 1, 2013

Counting Your Blessings, Not Crying Over Spilled Milk

So, for those of you who don't follow me on fb, I'm wearing a heart monitor again.  Joy.  I've been whining about it since I got it yesterday - it itches, it pinches, it's annoying, I get tangled in the cords, it leaves little round rashes that make it look like I've been wrestling with an octopus....

And then today I found out that a dear, sweet, sweet friend from college had a mastectomy yesterday.  I found this out when I went to her fb page to wish her a happy birthday today.  That's one hell of a birthday gift - let me take your boob to try to save your life.... ??? 

Makes me realize that I should be thanking God every single day that I have to wear this heart monitor, that it's not something worse.  Yes, it's my heart, but it's nothing fatal.  It's inconvenient, but I don't have to have anything cut off or cut out, I don't have to undergo any major medical treatments - although ablation is something that I would do if it was proven to work. 

Two of the sweetest people I knew in college have faught cancer so far.  Crystal is a survivor, an author, an amazing woman of God, and she and her husband are raising three wonderful boys and work in youth ministry world wide.  Becky just had her surgery yesterday, and has dedicated her life to service through LDS, her passion is bringing the Word to the far corners of the world. 

Compared to cancer, my inappropriate heart is something that I will give thanks for, and use my energy that I've been spending on complaining to pray for those less fortunate. 

Both ladies blogs are public, so please, take a peak, and say a prayer.

No comments: