Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Lenten Blogging, Week 1.5

So, I meant to get this started earlier, a weekly blog during the season of Lent... perhaps my Lenten commitment will be to stop procrastinating???

A pal from PLU posted a blog entry that's motivated me to start talking about Lent.

It was always hard, growing up Catholic, to find something to give up- I felt like I was punishing myself because of God. But our family priest put a fresh spin on the tradition, and challegened us to think of Lent as a time to better yourself for God, rather than making a sacrifice. Now, from a matured point of view, these things could be synonymous- but from a child's point of view, it made so much more sense! Don't punish yourself for 40 days by giving up coffee or chocolate, but make a change to better yourself...

Another friend of mine from PLU and I made a pact to give up negativty each Lenten season, and I still do- I have the little calendar page Becky gave me, with the verse on the back and everything! I actually laminated it, and it's in a safe place with all of my materials from PLU. (I'm going to go searching for that, now that I mention it!)

My thoughts for the moment- and my challenge to you 1.5 weeks into Lent- are to answer these questions: How have I failed myself? How can I prevent that from happening again?

That's all for now... break's over, back to work!

No comments: